The snowball of Fear
Hear the full 8 min episode right here.
- Most wouldn’t think of “Iron” Mike Tyson being a fearful guy, but he is-always has been. At a young age he was abused and pushed around.
- At 13 years old, Mike met Cus D’amato and even though he prophesied that Tyson would be the heavyweight champion of the world, Cus first fought Mike’s mind before he’d even let him fight in the ring.
“Fear is your friend, but fear also is your greatest obstacle to learning. Fear is like fire, if you learn to control it, you let it work for you. But if you don’t learn to control that fear, it’ll destroy you and everything around you. Fear is like a snowball on a hill. You can pick it up, throw it, and do anything you want to before it starts rolling down the hill, but once fear starts rolling down, it gets so big it’ll crush you to death. So one must never allow fear to develop and build up without having control over it because if you don’t you won’t be able to achieve your objective nor save your own life.” ~Cus D’amato
- Fear can be your greatest motivator or debilitator.
- We all have snowballs in our lives-at one time we could’ve handled them, but undealt with fear barrels down and eventually overtakes you.
- Fear can be used either as fuel to ignite you or you can choose to swallow it and its corrosiveness will kill you.
- Years ago while vacationing with my family, the front desk called and asked if I had another form of payment. American Express had frozen my ability to charge…I had no other form of payment (my other cards were maxed out), no cash, & was hours from home.
- What was I to do? We needed to eat and get back home.
- Fear overtook me. I was living a lifestyle I could no longer sustain and had to declare bankruptcy.
- I’ve learned fear, undealt with, will eventually overtake you. Sure you can run, but fear will always catch up with you.
- Turn toward fear, not away from it.
- It’s written, “Speak to your mountains,” for a reason.
- Running toward fear does 3 things: Gives you control back in your own life; shortens the duration of the storm (days instead of decades), and the results are rarely worse than you imagined (if you run at it immediately).
The greatest obstacle to your potential is fear.
Share your thoughts with me from the podcast.